Saturday, January 14, 2017

HIDDEN FIGURES - Movie Review

If you haven't seen Hidden Figures, I encourage you to do so. This movie will leave you inspired and empowered! It is a long overdue story of three amazing African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle MonĂ¡e) who were instrumental in launching John Glenn into space in 1962. They broke barriers, loved life, raised families, stuck together and accomplished goals, even in a segregated world.They were women of many firsts and it reminded me that I am standing on the shoulders of the many women who have gone before me. Instead of cat fighting and backbiting like The Real Housewives of (fill in the blank), it was refreshing for the big screen to show women who were supportive with mutual respect for each other. That is the REAL STORY.

In 2001, I became one of the first African American woman Vice Presidents at a national restaurant chain. Fast forward, I am the owner of a Real Estate School where there are very few women Owners of a huge profession of every ethnicity. Aside from my personal journey and feeling connected to the movie, it is entertaining, inspiring, funny and has a plethora of great actors.

Furthermore I'm glad my children saw the movie because it confirms that there will always be obstacles in life, but with faith, hard work and determination, there are no limitations or boundaries. Just like our accomplishment to space, the movie deserves the accolades to celebrate the accomplishments of the women in NASA and beyond. I give this movie a 10! A must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment